Monday, August 10, 2015

How NOT to deliver a package

Before I get started, I want to go on the record and say I've had almost zero issues when it comes to ordering things from Amazon. Everything's come as described and I don't think I've ever had a package arrive late or in bad condition.  There isn't some track record of poor service from them, so I'm not liable to cause a stink over things that happen too often.

That all said, I do feel Amazon should be held slightly accountable for the recent order issue that I've been dealing with.

Today is Monday, August 10th. Last week, I ordered a powered USB 3.0 hub and knee brace off of Amazon's web site. The guaranteed delivery date was 8/7/15 by 8pm. Having never had an issue with an order arriving, I didn't think much when I saw the Amazon notification pop up on my phone. I figured it was the app telling me the order had been delivered successfully.

Imagine my surprise when I actually went to clear the notification and realized it said there was a problem with the order. Upon checking in on the order page online, it indicated the carrier reported that the address was insufficient, that it was missing an apartment or suite number. Now, I do live in an apartment, but the street address for the apartment IS the apartment number.  For example, if my address was 555 Main St, technically the 555 part is the apartment number, but each apartment has its own street address rather than apartment number.

I know. It's an odd system, but I've NEVER had an issue with someone not being able to deliver a package to me. UPS, USPS, and FedEx have all successfully delivered packages in the past.

I contacted Amazon over this issue and informed "Rose" that the address was indeed correct. I'm going to post the chat transcript, minus the order number and address number. Here is the transcript:

01:13 PM PDT Rose(Amazon): Hello, David. My name is Rose. I'm here to help you today.I am sorry that you haven't received your package due to delivery issues tagged by the carrier.

No worries, I'll be glad to check what happened and see for the best option that I can provide to assist you.
May I have the order number?
01:14 PM PDT David T. Kreal: 103-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX (NOTE: I removed the actual order number for privacy reasons; if Amazon sees this blog post, they can contact me personally to receive it) I have a feeling it's because the postal carrier didn't understand how my apartment's numbering system works, which is a first since I've ordered dozens of packages from you guys and had them delivered to XXXX XXXXX Dr.
01:16 PM PDT Rose: Thanks for the details and I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.
01:18 PM PDT Rose: No worries, here's the best option that I can do to help.
01:18 PM PDT David T. Kreal: This is the first time this has happened
01:19 PM PDT Rose: Yes, this doesn't usually happen.
01:20 PM PDT Rose: No need to worry, I'll be more than happy to contact the carrier right now to to tell them that the address is correct and request for a redelivery of your package.
How does that sound to you?
01:20 PM PDT David T. Kreal: the XXXX in my address is on my door...and the outside of my building. It's really hard to mess that up.
Yes, they need to be contacted. So that would be acceptable.
01:21 PM PDT Rose: Thank yo.
*Thank you.
No need for you to worry, I'll surely forward that to the carrier for the successful redelivery of your package.
01:22 PM PDT David T. Kreal: Not worried, just annoyed. The one item was important to arrive on time, but that's not your fault.
01:22 PM PDT Rose: Thank you for your understanding.
01:23 PM PDT Rose: There is nothing to worry, I've successfully contacted the carrier and provided them the information you have provided to me that will help for the successful delivery of your package.
Rest assured that we are always here to back you up.
If there is anything else I may assist you with today, please let me know.
01:24 PM PDT David T. Kreal: No, as long as the package arrives as it should, everything should be fine. Thanks for the help.
01:26 PM PDT Rose: You're most welcome.
Thanks for contacting Amazon.com chat support. Take care and have a great day! Please feel free to click the "End Chat" link.
Thank you.
Amazon.com

Now, I've gone ahead and highlighted the key parts to this conversation in regards to Amazon's role in this. As you can see, Rose contacted the carrier and said the package would be redelivered.

Except that it wasn't delivered the next day. And when I dug deeper, I found out that the USPS, which usually handles Amazon deliveries, wasn't involved, that the tracking number I was seeing was for UPS. When I contacted UPS, it seemed that they had NOT been made aware that the address was indeed correct, that the package was sitting in a shipping center in Highland Heights. They did NOT attempt to redeliver it, so either Rose at Amazon did not contact UPS (but rather USPS), or someone at UPS screwed up again.

At this point, I'm still trying to figure out why the package never made it in the first place. The assumption I'm going with is that someone either saw the address and knew it was an apartment complex (thus deciding it needed an extra number), or they actually drove into the complex, saw it was an apartment complex, and didn't even bother to try and see if it could be delivered.

Regardless, there was a serious mess up with this order, and while I know Amazon isn't responsible for what a delivery carrier does, when I'm told that the carrier has been contacted and the package STILL doesn't get delivered, I feel some of the accountability falls on their shoulders if they didn't properly relay information to the correct place.

As it stands, it's now been 3 days and while I may not know until I get home if the package did arrive (and GOD help UPS if it doesn't), I do know this should NEVER have happened in the first place. Someone clearly dropped the ball, and while no one will likely admit who made the mistake (or even if a mistake was made), I do know the way this has been handled has been unsuccessful.  As of right now, I have $40 worth of stuff floating around a UPS center that should've been delivered.

The most maddening part of the talk with UPS's customer service was the inability of them to understand the address was correct. Even after the woman stopped asking if it was correct, she would say to me "now that the address has been corrected," which only infuriated me more. It wasn't corrected. It was never wrong. Someone goofed, but I'm the one who has to suffer because of it. Not Amazon. Not UPS.

Me. Well, and Rachel too since her knee brace for YESTERDAY'S Warrior Dash was supposed to be there BEFORE the dash.

Simply put, this is the kind of stuff that can't go on with a carrier service. This lack of urgency cannot be acceptable. I feel as if I'm being punished because of someone else's mistake with the way the situation has been handled to this point. (see my rant on YouTube to see how upset this has made me) I feel ultimately UPS doesn't feel responsibility for this, nor do I think Amazon will feel any either.

In the end, do I feel entitled to something? No, but it would sure be nice if someone did something as a result of this huge inconvenience. I already know that isn't going to happen. What could UPS possibly do to take responsibility for the incredibly mess-up? Probably nothing. What could Amazon do? I mean, there are things they could do, but they probably don't feel this is their problem so why would they do anything for me?

At this point, I can no longer feel assured that a package will be delivered like it's supposed to be, and that's the biggest shame of it all.

I just wish one or both of these companies would show some accountability for this.

Wishful thinking, I know.

No comments: