Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The social network

I took a venture back onto Google+ today.

I had originally joined it last year as a substitute for Facebook since it seemed several people were talking about jumping ship to the shiny new social network that was getting a lot of publicity.

One year after my last post, I went back and took a peek at the site that never quite took off the way Google probably thought it would.  I attempted to change my profile picture on there and rediscovered why I abandoned it in the first place.  The site, while laid out nicely, is clunky at best.  It is nice to be able to link your profile to other Google-affiliated sites such as Youtube and Blogger, but ultimately it's cumbersome to try and do much of anything on the actual site.

It took 15 minutes, several reloads, and an act of God to get my profile picture changed.  As of this point, the other sites have not recognized this profile change and are still displaying the old picture.

There are some nice ideas behing Google+.  The hangout idea is nice, as is how easy they make it sound to video chat with multiple people.  I even like the Your Circle concept that they bring to the table.

Social networking is a funny thing overall though.  Myspace was all the rage up until a couple years ago when Facebook found its footing.  Now I bet most don't know anyone who regularly uses Myspace, or if you do, it's one sad, lonely individual who just can't let go of the site.  This despite how much complaining is done about Facebook and how it operates, especially when it pertains to individual security settings.

For those who complain, it's a social network, not a hide everything you put up because you're embarrassed by what you said, did, or wore.  Don't want people to see it?  Don't post it.  Or, go in, change your settings, and go about your life.  Yes, Facebook can frustrate with how slow it can be at times, how often there seem to be hiccups, but complaining about privacy on a social network is silly.

I've resisted the temptation to join Twitter thus far.  It's a battle I've gone back and forth on for sometime, partially because while I'm fascinated by the ability to follow athletes, celebrities, and local friends and see what they're all up to, it sounds like a simplified Facebook that's encouraged people to talk like idiots.

I just don't think I could devote time to a social platform when I already tend to ignore Facebook on a regular basis.

But again, the temptation to see what people are saying on Twitter is immense, plus the fact that so many companies are promoting themselves through Twitter and posting contests that are exclusive to that realm. 

It's actually amazing to me how many different ways people can express themselves anymore.  There are social sites like Facebook and Twitter, blogging sites such as Blogger and Tumblr, picture sites that allow sharing through multiple avenues, and even work networking sites that allow you to connect with coworkers in a social environment.

Additionally, most online stories allow people to comment on them, giving people even more ways to express themselves on whatever they think about, even if it has nothing to do with what the story is about.  This has led to things such as trolling (leaving comments simply to incite others that are usually negative or derogatory) and people arguing just because they can.

It allows someone like me an avenue to express my opinion on a number of items, although mine lately have been exclusive to the sporting world.

I could come in here and say the most inflammatory thing and get away with it.  It's the beauty of the internet and the social environment we live in now.

Twitter isn't that exciting though.  It seems the most outrageous tweets often are deleted within hours of being posted due to backlash caused.  Twitter has also led to several parody profiles of various celebritites.  Some embrace the idea that it isn't really the celebrity posting, others try to convince it is who they say they are.

In the end, it doesn't matter how you choose to express yourself.  Me?  I've stuck with this blog, my Facebook page, and occasionally in my Youtube videos that I've posted.  Whether I expand or not depends on whether there's an audience for it.  I'm sure I could boost my Youtube numbers by posting more on various platforms, but I'm not the self-promoting type.

Today I went back onto Google+, but it doesn't seem likely that I'll be back anytime soon.  I'll stick with what I already have.

No comments: