Monday, October 31, 2011

best time of year

I've always enjoyed this time of year.

Yes, it's the time of year when my birthday takes place, but it's always been more than that, especially in lieu of the old man jokes that started up around three years ago or so.

Part of it is I really enjoy halloween.  Sure, I don't go trick or treating anymore, but as this weekend proved, I still enjoy getting dressed up and giving people a scare.  I also think it's a riot to see what costumes people come up with, hence why I do like to pass out candy when given the chance.

Part of it is the time of year.  Yeah, I like the heat and all that, but this is the only time of the year when you get to see leaves change colors, and it can be quite amazing.

Okay, they can change color in the summer too, but that's usually more because of a drought than anything else.  Or the campfire incident.  Either way, that hasn't been the case this year since we've had enough rain to make Noah jealous.

It's just fun.  And this weekend summed up why I like this time of year so much.

Friday was the test-run for my costume.  For those NOT in the know, I was going to be dressing up as a scary scarecrow and Rachel was going as a sexy Dorothy (btw, she nailed it if you ask me).  My costume was supposed to be the more elaborate of the two, requiring some makeup work and a mask in addition to the damage we did to a hat, a button-up shirt, an old pair of jeans, and some utility gloves.

In the end, we probably spent as much time on hers as it took a while for her to find thigh highs for her legs that worked and looked good, but in the end, she looked great and we had a good time overall.  Sure the party itself wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, but we went to her mom's and made our own party and had a ton of fun playing beer pong, making jokes, and watching random videos on youtube.

It was probably more fun than it should've been.

However, I was very proud of the costume.  As I started to say before I distracted myself, Friday was the test run to see how the reaction would be to it. Rachel and I headed over to my mom's house because my sister wanted me to scare the shit out of the kids, and for the most part, I did.

Vanessa ran screaming once she saw me, Evin tried to ignore me before heading upstairs to hide behind the cat perch, and Natasha?  She just stared and smiled at me, asking me what I was doing and telling me to take off my mask before brutally assaulting me with a doll, then later trying to chew on my jeans.  All in all, a success.

The party itself?  All I heard was people talking about the costume and wanting to take a picture with me.  We were asked repeatedly where we got the costume, and more than once we were complimented on the work we did.  Did I win scariest costume?  No, but that's because the contest was rigged.

How?  Rachel's sister threw the party and rather than have everyone vote, she only had her friends vote, who apparently decided that someone wearing a Freddie Krueger mask with one, not two, but one gloved hand was scarier than what I was wearing.  Now I'm not the one to be bitter, especially when everyone I came across was telling me that my costume was scarier, so I'm not going to hold a grudge, but you decide.

Freddy



Me




















I don't think it's much of a contest, but really, who am I to judge.  In the end, the voting was rigged and I'm not going to sit and dwell on it. The compliments speak for themselves.

All in all, we had a ton of fun at Rachel's mom's afterwards though.  Rachel and I played beer pong against Josh and Donnie, winning that game before losing to her mom and stepdad.  Granted, they took liberties it seemed with some of the rules of the game and we almost came back to win.  In the end, we were there til almost 5am then went to sleep.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I give all the credit in the world to Rachel.  She wasn't feeling that great most of the day, but wouldn't let that get in the way of us enjoying the day together even though I feel bad dragging her around so much when she didn't feel good.

We went to Red Lobster since I had a gift card courtesy of Kelley and I once again ate my weight in shrimp.  We then set off for Kohls, where I finally got a pair of new work pants and Rachel got me a pair and a tie from Payton as well.  Then we set off for Southpark Mall in Strongsville where I picked up a new pair of shoes for work and going out and Rachel got me a couple of Jeff Dunham magnets with Walter and Achmed on them.

Then we took a nap before Payton got home, which was when Rachel finally felt better.

The thing that consistently amazes me about her is how I had a great weekend, yet because she didn't feel great yesterday, she felt like she ruined my birthday (which she didn't).  She actually attempted to apologize, whereas I felt bad because I dragged her here and there when she didn't feel good.

In the end, she talked about getting an ice cream next weekend.  Hey, who am I to complain?

All in all, I'm happy.  I had a great birthday with a great woman and I really couldn't ask for more.  I got what I wanted for my birthday, and that was to spend it with her.

No comments: